Top 7 Ways to Protect the Data on Your Computer
- Update your system’s operating system and web browser frequently. Keeping these completely updated will dramatically reduce the potential that your computer can be accessed by hackers. If your version of the system software does not automatically check for and download software updates, be sure to do this manually.
- Back up the data on your computer regularly. Copy your personal data to some external medium. Do this at least weekly.
- Use and update your anti-virus software regularly. This is a given, but many people forget to do this. Your anti-virus software should always be active when your computer is turned on, automatically screening new files, and you should always scan all your drives about once a week.
- Don’t download files from strangers. Even if you know the person sending you an email, never open an attached file until you have scanned it first using your anti-virus software.
- Use a firewall connection to the internet. This firewall allows you to limit uninvited access to your computer. Without this, hackers can take over your computer and access sensitive information. Hardware based firewall is better but more money, for a biz of any sort go for the hardware based one, home computers a software base one is fine.
- Password protect all sensitive information on your computer using a “strong” password comprised of a combination of letters and numbers. This will cause the data on your computer to be encrypted so that it will be difficult to make sense of by unauthorized individuals.
- Avoid using an automatic log-in feature that saves your user name and password; and always log off when you’re finished. Enough said.
Copyright © 2018. All Rights Reserved.